Monday, June 20, 2011

Thwart by a Bug

Also - How to Second Guess Yourself and an Apology (again)

Today was supposed to be day 1 of swim lessons for the kids, but we aren't going. AJU5 is sick :( Yesterday she woke up with a fever and complaining about her throat. I gave her some benadryl and advil, and she napped. By the end of the nap and a little TV, her fever was gone and her throat didn't hurt. But, I guessed (and was right) it was just the medicine. Her fever came back as the Advil wore off, but we waited until she wasn't comfortable to give her more. The throat wasn't bothering her, and now her complaints were her nose (which was congested/runny the whole time) and her mouth. She slept and watched TV all afternoon, and with a second dose of Advil in full swing, she was a little more herself in the evening. Her fever didn't drop completely, but she wanted to play "person game" (Chutes and Ladders), and she was up and moving at least. She had been drinking all day and even snacking a little, so I wasn't too worried. She got some more benadryl and tylenol before bed, and we were praying by morning she would be fine.

Around 3am, she cried enough for me to get out of bed (i.e. it wasn't just a dream cry). It turns out either she coughed up a little crud or her nose ran enough on her pillow to bother her. Since it was dark, I thought it was worse than it was until I got to the bathroom and just saw a little snot in a few places on her pillow. Luckily there is a second pillow on her bed, and she went back to sleep. Well, for an hour at least. Then she joined up in bed, asking for some milk. She was half awake from then until 5 I think, and then she pretty much slept until 8. Periodically I would check her temperature this morning. First it was 100. something. I was happy - I could deal with that. About 45 minutes later I checked again and it was 105. I was worried. Luckily I checked about 2 minutes later and it was down to 101. I checked again about 30 minutes later, and I got temperatures between 102 and 103. So, I knew it was time for Advil again. After with more Advil and milk in her system, she asked to be carried downstairs to watch her favorite TV show (which today appears to be Curious George). She is sitting up about 1/3 of the time and zombie-like the rest of the time. Hopefully once the Advil is in full affect, she will have a little energy....

I definitely have been second guessing myself with her and this bug. First I was afraid it might be strep, but I quick look online revealed that wasn't likely due to the congestion. And since her throat isn't bothering her anymore, I have ruled that out. Now it is the bug (virus) vs. infection debate. Is it worth going to the doctor? If it is just a virus, they won't be able to say or do much to help. But, if it is an infection, we could get medicine. I know it isn't a sinus infection (still running clear), and there is no stomach issues. So, it is just a head "disease" of some sort. Right now I am thinking virus and praying it is over by morning...

And today I realized once again I have been terrible at commenting on blogs. I gave up and closed about 10-15 tabs in Firefox, all of blogs I had opened and meant to comment on. But, when I am on the third row of tabs (and I have a wide-screen monitor), it is just too overwhelming. So, I cleared the deck and hopefully I can try to stay on top of them now!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Poor baby! I hate the dreaded "just a virus" diagnosis, especially when they obviously feel so terrible. I hope she is her old self soon!