Friday, November 6, 2009

Product Review Friday - DVRs

Okay, so this post isn't about specific DVRs - it is more about how much I love being able to record TV. We actually use a program called SageTV which runs via computer to record shows. We had to pay for some hardware and a one-time purchase of software, but that is it. I know other options have monthly service charges, but I am not all researched-up on those...

So, here are the big benefits of a DVR:
  • Commercial skipping. Most DVRs will mark commercials and automatically skip them. They skipping isn't always perfect, but you do get to "miss' most of the annoying commercials with no work!
  • Favorites! Most DVRs allow you to record all airings of a favorite show. You may also have options as to which episodes of a favorite are recorded (like channel, time, or first-run restrictions). This means you don't have to think about when your show is on.
  • Library of Shows. This is a big plus for toddlers. We record all of the Curious Georges and Word Worlds that are on our PBS station. Then, we can cycle through the list and watch them when she wants TV. Once we have watched all available episodes once, we can go through the list again. It is like having a DVD with all of the episodes on it for free1
Do you have a DVR? Do you like it?

3 comments:

Coach Mom said...

I like the idea of DVR's because I detest commercials. But, I have no real experience...we haven't had TV access in over 4 months, and I don't miss it a bit!

Sarah said...

LOL-- watching Thursday night TV right now on a Friday night...

Stephanie said...

We actually have a desktop computer hooked up to our tv and a tv tuner. You can use windows media center to record.