Monday, September 21, 2009

Working Schedule?

So, last week, we might have found a schedule that works for AJU5. A schedule that means she sleeps through the night (or at least doesn't include me getting her). And, it is a schedule I can work with, although I don't think it is a typical toddler schedule! So, here it is:

Wake up between 5:30 and 6:00
Watch an episode of Curious George
Eat breakfast and watch another episode of TV (Curious George or Word World).
Play for a while
Nap (down before 8am)
Between nap and dinner time - lunch, play, run errands, etc. Some times there is an additional nap as well depending on the length of the first nap and the previous night's bed time.
Eat dinner between 4:30 and 6:30 (depending on when AJU1 gets home, etc).
Bed time sometime between 6:30 and 8:30. After dinner activities are up to her. Some times there is a bath. Some times there is another show. Some times we just play. We let her pick what she wants to do most night (i.e. when we don't have church or something else).

She did wake twice last night though. The first I think was a bad dream because she was very upset but crashed within second of me putting her on the futon. She crashed so fast I didn't even have to lay down! Then, three hours or so later I find her crawling into bed with us (no cries or anthing before that). I snuggled her for a few minutes until she was out and then moved her back to her crib where she slept for 4.5 more hours. I bet if she was in her crib, the second waking wouldn't have happened (although there may have been a few short cries instead - which means I would have been awaken either way).

The other tricks to our success:
  • Leaving her door cracked when we put her down. This gives her a little more light in her room, as we keep the laundry room light on over night.
  • Only giving her water to drink at night. She will sip the water when she is thirsty, but she doesn't finish the cup - ever! If we give her milk or watered down juice, she will go through up to 3 cups a night!
I do miss sleeping until 7ish in the morning, but it does mean I get a lot more done in the mornings! And, we aren't struggling so hard to get things done during the day because the nap occurs so early. So, in the long run, I think I like this schedule. The only problem is when we have to leave early in the morning for things and she doesn't get a good nap. Trying to get her to tak ea short afternoon nap is hit or miss. I can normally get her down, but when Daddy is home, she fights it a lot more! But, that just means an earlier bed time normally :)

2 comments:

Jen L. said...

Glad you found a schedule that's working. We've finally gotten Dean used to the schedule they use at daycare, and so far it's working!

Sarah said...

Yay! You are so good at listening to her and following her lead. I need to remember to do this more :)