Saturday, November 6, 2010

Silly Saturday

Yesterday we were outside playing before dinner. AJU5 took the little push car up the hill for a ride down (as usual), and then got bored. She wanted her "button" - the motorized four wheeler my parents got her last year for her birthday. So, we got it out. But, AJU6 took the opportunity to take the push car for a spin. He pushed it all the way up the hill, and then we let him ride down. And he did it again. Then, he tried to push the car down the hill. Unfortunately, they ended badly with a bump/scrape on the head. Luckily he got his hands down first, and then tumbled head first. But, once he had a little snuggle, he was ready to go again. By this point, AJU5 was driving her four wheeler around. AJU1 was trying to teach her to turn at the end of the sidewalk area and come back on the grass. It was taking lots of coaching, but eventually she got it. So, AJU6 decided to copy his sister - he tried to push his car in the grass. He didn't get very far though. Then AJU5 drove her vehicle to the door (after AJU1 tried to tell her to turn to go back for nother loop). At this point, AJU6 was in my arms, abandoning the car after not being able to push it through the grass. He saw the four wheeler "available" and tried to jump out of my arms. I told AJU1 he wanted to ride. AJU1 didn't believe him. But, I put him down, and he crawled/toddled over to it and tried to climb on. AJU1 took him for a loop, and he was ready to get down (tired and hungry I think). He almost is big enough to climb off on his own - if only his little feet would move a little easier when turning to get off.

Okay... that might not have been that silly. But, I am tired. AJU6 was up at 10, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30. At 2:30 I was done, so AJU1 tried to get him back to sleep. After a few failed attempts, we decided to just let him cry it out. It took almost an hour from AJU1s last attempt until he was completely out. And of course all that screaming woke AJU5 up. So, she came and joined us in our bed, using me as a kicking bag part of the night (well, morning since it was 4am when she joined us). But, they both let us stay in bed until 7 this morning, and we "get" another hour tonight. Hopefully he will do better tonight. At almost a year old, he shouldn't be waking every hour or two at night. I could deal with one or two wakings, but the every hour is not cool. So, we aren't going to allow it. But it is hard to listen to him cry. AJU1 tried to rock him to sleep. He rocked for about 20 minutes, and he was completely out. But, as soon as he put him in bed, he was awake and crying again in minutes. I tried nursing, but that only gave us 30 minutes. And I don't feel comfortable co-sleeping because he moves a lot (and might crawl out of bed). So, we are somewhat stuck with the cry-it-out method even if he screams...

3 comments:

Jen L. said...

This is certainly not a scientific thing, but I wonder if it's a boy thing. Dean did this, and my friends who have boys experienced it, right as they are starting to walk. Maybe a "growing pain" kind of thing,or maybe some frustration? I don't know. Hope it gets better soon so you can rest!

Sarah said...

My kids also lose the ability to sleep right before a huge developmental milestone-- big things in store for AJU6 :)

Coach Mom said...

I am totally on board with Jen's "theory"...there does appear to be something about kids with greater physical abilities and some sort of discomfort when they try to rest. We must fill our boys up with a rib-sticking bed time snack (like yogurt or pudding) in order for them to sleep soundly at night, especially after an evening of greater physical activity.

Sleep training might work if you think you are dealing with rebellion in AJU6. But, if there is something else underlying his woes, I hope it remedies quickly so you all can get the rest you need.

I've got a funny memory of my youngest climbing onto one of those motorized vehicles and taking off....and my Dad having to run across the yard, after him before he hurt himself!