This is a bout work. Since I know I have at least a few readers who are also college instructors/professors, I thought I would rant here!
I am teaching a course for the first time this semester. I somehow miscalculated points to make them add up to the numbers on the syllabus. So, back before Thanksgiving when one student pointed this out, I told them I would adjust the grades based on percentage by dividing by the possible points and then multiplying by the point values on the syllabus. Sounds simple enough - right? Well, I have had to explain it three times today so far! And it is a math class!
How hard is it to get - add them up, divide by x and multiply by y? They keep telling me my points don't add up to what you posted online. Yeah, that would be right! Why can't they get it?
Okay, now off to get more work done. Rant over...
2 comments:
If you think you cannot possibly say something again, just smile, and say it one more time. At least you can communicate mostly via email-- so if you are grumpy, they can't tell :)
Ugh. I've just re-written next semester's syllabus for the 9th time. I keep changing my mind. Then, when I thought i had it just right, the department chair writes and asks if I can have the students in my class do a specific project for the department. UGH.
We've been having horrible sleep issues, too, by the way. Dean was up for almsot 3 straight hours last night. He cried if I held him. He wailed if he was in his bed. It just took me over an hour to get him down tonight. Hope things are going better for you!
Post a Comment