Monday, April 12, 2010

At least she loves me...

AJU5 has become a complete Mommy's girl lately. She rejects AJU1 often, which I don't think he likes. She hasn't completely rejected him luckily, but he has mentioned that he hopes AJU6 doesn't hate him when he turns 2.

She insists I put her in the car. She sits behind the driver seat, so if we are all going somewhere these means that we have to put our respective children in and then walk around the vehicle to get to our seat. Annoying...

About 75% of the time she insists on getting out on AJU6's side - i.e. where I am. I took Sarah's suggestion from way back and unbuckle AJU5 first when it is just me and the kids.. Then, I go get AJU6, the diaper bag, and finally AJU5 out on his side. Now she insists on this order even if AJU1 is the one unbuckling her. Well, unless I am fast enough and get AJU6 out and the door shut before she is out of her seat that is.

During Sunday morning service, she insists on sitting with me/on me. This is fine until AJU6 is hungry. Yesterday we tried to get her to sit with AJU1 when she was 90% asleep, and she just screamed. So, I had her snuggled up next to me while I fed AJU6. It didn't work so well as she decided to rest her head on his head. Luckily he was no longer too hungry...

There are other times she insists on me, but it isn't consistent as to what those things are. Luckily during the middle of the night she normally goes to AJU1's side of the bed! Unfortunately on days like today, AJU1 is already out of the house when she comes looking (i.e. 5:30). I thought she would sleep in since she didn't give up and sleep until almost 10 last night...

And to think just before and just after AJU6 was born she was a total Daddy's girl. Jealousy has sure set in!

2 comments:

Coach Mom said...

Assure AJU1 that these preferences change phase over time. She will be a Daddy's Girl again soon (and definitely in the teen years).

You don't have to cater to it (unless you want to). You can set up boundaries with her, where she doesn't have to get her way, and let her know that her parents are in charge instead. When our kids tried that with getting more milk, it was simple to say, "either let the parent who is available get the milk, or do without." They learn quickly, and all that manipulation of the parents decreases.

Sarah said...

It's kind of sweet though, huh? Jack always has a preference-- but he switches back and forth between us!