Friday, September 3, 2010

Cubbie!

AJU5 is now a Cubbie in Awana. Awana is a Christian scout-type program that focuses on Scripture memory, and begins with 2-year olds. We decided to skip the 2 year old class (Puggles) with AJU5, and move her to the preschool class (Cubbies) because we plan on starting kindergarten with her when she is 4.5. Last night, the Cubbies who completed the first two weeks got their vests and books. AJU5 had to memorize three (shortened) verses and the Cubbies motto. I am surprised at how easily she learned the verses. I just had to repeat them a bunch of times during the week, and before too long she could repeat them to me. Plus, it is helping me learn verses too :)

She still isn't used to the format of Awana though. The group she is in starts with play time while everyone arrives. Then, they do a big group time with a puppet story, Bible story, and song. After that,t hey rotate through three stations - book/snack, craft, and game. The hardest thing for AJU5 is she doesn't always want to leave one activity - especially the play time with the play kitchen. Also, it ends right beofre her bedtime, so the closing time at the very end can be a struggle too. But, I think she is getting more and more comfortable with it. And, it doesn't hurt that her best friend is also in the class with her (and we make sure they are in the same rotation group). She was a little sad when her friends little brother (a very close second on the best friend status) didn't get to go with them this week. He is a Puggle, and he had to go to his class!

This morning the first thing she asked AJU1 for was her book and vest. She asked for them before juice, milk, and morning snack even. So, hopefully next Thursday will run even smoother for her!

Verses:
1 John 4:10 - God lvoed us and sent His Son.
Romans 3:23 - All have sinned.
Romans 5;8 - While we were sinners, Christ died for us.

Cubbies Motto; Jesus loves me.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jen L. said...

cute! We have Mission Friends, but they don't get a snazzy vest. I was shocked that kids that little could memorize verses, but Dean learns a new one at "school" every single week! It's great to start them out so early, I think. Do you know the song that's the book of the New Testament? Dean is learning it. I'm betting you know it, but if not, I'll make a YouTube video and send it to you. And then you can laugh at how goofy I am. ;)