Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Yawn!

Between my two kids - I am tired! AJU5 has become an early bird most days. I am lucky to get to stay in bed past 6:30. This morning, she arrived at our bed around 5am - before AJU1 got up for the day. And, shortly after he left for work, she demanded I get out of bed too. It wasn't even 6am... Luckily her routine is to watch a show in the morning. So, twice this week I have gotten to snooze while she watches Veggie Tales "with me."

Then, you add AJU6 and his terrible sleeping. At 10 months old, he still wakes 3 times a night to nurse. The first two are on about 2 to 2.5 hour increments. Then, he sleeps for about 4 hours and then until he is woken up (or around 7am if AJU5 is actually quiet). I so wish he would sleep better. But, crying it out doesn't seem to be an option. Sometimes I let him fuss for a few minutes while I try to convince myself it isn't him I hear. But, he just gets louder. And, he throws all of his pacifiers out of his bed. So, his main comfort items are not available if he were to give up and try to go to sleep.

So, last night I thought I would try a little formula. Since the smallest "dosage" you can do with the powder is 2 ounces, that is what I tried. And guess what - he refused it! He took a few sips at his first two feedings, but he only drank 1 ounce total. Some of it may have been that it was cold (since I used the filtered water from the fridge). So, tonight I am going to try again. I am also going to try mixing a little bm in to see if that helps. I tried giving him the bottle, then letting him nurse, then when he was ready to switch sides, I tried the bottle again. But, by the second feeding, he was having none of it. And since he is really nursing, not just seeking comfort, I think he is actually hungry. Ugh! Hopefully by 15 months he will be sleeping through the night...

At least yhey both take decent naps right now so I can get a veg period each day!

1 comment:

Coach Mom said...

Hang in there, sleepy Mama! This too shall pass....just as soon as that very active, very physically advanced boy of yours can feed himself around the clock! LOL! The eating habits of boys is different. Their bodies seem to demand more, just to keep up with all that they do...and your little guy has some hard-working muscles these days.

Formula has a different taste, so you might consider a room temp, 50/50 mix with breastmilk. And, if this is not too shocking of a suggestion...try some "rib sticking" food right before bedtime--yogurt, cereal, pudding, mashed potatoes. (My son has never missed a bedtime snack in his life...and his "snacks" resemble other kids' meals). I've met other boys who eat a bowl of Cheerios with milk, right before bed. I am a believer that boys are just different....especially those physically strong ones.