Wednesday, November 4, 2009

R Bs

So, AJU5 is really liking her R Bs these days. Now, I know you may be asking what R Bs are. Well, don't you know those are letters and numbers to an almost 23 month old? Really, I don't know why she calls them that, but she is sticking with that distinction even with our reminding her they are letters and numbers.

Her second favorite show is Word World. I know the "skills" taught in the show are a little advanced for her, but she loves the animals. So, while we were at Wally World last week, I bought her a package of bathtub foam letters and numbers. They have been a hit. She will sit on the floor and rearrange them for some time. She will also bring them to us one or two at a time. And, since they come in 6 colors, we are also working identifying the colors with them as well (I think she knows some of the colors, but the concept of "color" confuses her).

Then just this week, she has taken to coming up to me and asking to sit in my lap while I am at the computer. She will hand me a crayon and tell me "R Bs" and point to the paper. I figured out she wants me to write words for her. So, There has been a lot of basic word writing going on on my part this week! Yesterday I got smart and started writing words that corresponded to items nearby. I required her to point to the item before I would write another word just to save myself some thinking! Of course, I am telling her what the words say and reading off the letters as I go - I do not expect her to read just yet!

But, on that note, she can identify PIE, DUCK, SHEEP, HAT, and BALL on Word World before they are made into their items. I know some of it is just repetition and recognition (they are in the intro/ending each time), but I think she is also doing a tiny but of sight reading. This makes me happy because reading is not a strong suit for me! I want to home school, but the whole language arts part scares me slightly because I had such a hard time with it growing up (most likely I am dyslexic although I was never tested). Now I like to read, but that didn't start until about 9 years ago!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Very cool! Harry used to loooove his bath letters, and Ben used to to looove spelling dirty words on the wall during bath time. Then Jack ate them.

Marianne said...

I've bought two packs of those letters. They're WONDERFUL. Unfortuately, my stupid boy cat keeps eating them!

Coach Mom said...

I love Word World! Another one to check out is Leap Frog's Letter Factory--my nephew learned to make all the letter sounds when he was 2.5 years old!