I keep giong back and forth. AJU6 has only two gifts from us this year - a duck in his stocking and an outfit under the tree. AJU5 has twice as many - a whole 4 presents! She has two books and a DVD set under the tree and candy in her stocking. Now, part of the reason they have so few things is because they end up with so much from family this time of year. With their birthdays and Christmas all within a month, they get lots of new things. Plus, they are at an age when they don't care who things are from and often forget about presents when they get a new one.
But, then I feel like I am a cheap-skate. AJU5's presents are worth a total of about $20. AJU6's are even less. Now, I bet AJU5 will love the things she is getting. And, I know she will have other gifts too. AJU6 will be totally oblivious to everything, so no issues there either. And, it does mean I don't feel like I am spoiling them other times of the year when I buy them things.
I guess I just wonder what we will do in a few years when they know who is buying them what and expect things. I hope to teach them to be happy with what they get, but I am almost 100% sure that I will have to spend at least a little bit more on them in the future (especially since I spend $20-25 on each of their cousins for Christmas)...
Do you feel like you spoiled your kids this year? Do you feel like you didn't get them enough?
2 comments:
I'm pretty sure Jack had some diapers wrapped up under the tree last year-- babies are so silly :)
Early on, I went completely overboard with toys and clothes, enjoying all of those Black Friday sales. A couple years ago, I wised up and realized that I did not need to buy all that stuff. So, our Christmas budget was re-vamped, and dramatically decreased. I now focus on more educational gifts, or specific desires of the older kids. We are blessed with grandparents and some extended family who go hog wild with shoes and toys from those Black Friday sales. This year, we had 5 gifts for each child under the tree....and extended family doubled that, and then some!
(Enjoy the lower budget for the younger kids now (I do!)...as their clothes and toys/entertainment get more expensive as they get older)
Post a Comment