So, I post back here that AJU5 has most of her letters down. Jen L. asked how I was "teaching" her the letters. Well, I give Word World credit for some of it. The show teaches phonics, and as a result repeats the letters. This got AJU5 interested in letters. We also bought her the foam bath tub letters. These were first just a toy she would stack and dump. But, whenever she would bring me one, I would repeat the letter. Before too long, she had a few letters down. Around that time (late October/early November), she also got interested in the Alphabet song. She used to hate it, but then she wanted me to sing it for a few days. Now, it is only slightly liked, as others keep taking its place at the top.
In the November/December time period she also got very insistent that we write letters for her. To start out she just wanted me to write, so I would write words and have her point to them. Then, she started to ask for specific letters. We have lots of pages of letter floating around the house in spiral notebooks! Because I have gotten "tired" of writing the same letters over and over again, I have started to ask her what each letter is for. She already knows C is for cookie, W is for Water, F is for Frog and Fish, etc, mainly from Word World again.
So, that is how we are doing it. I have tried flash cards some, but she isn't very interested in those. I tried a page of letters in a train, but it only interested her for about 2 minutes (and then it caused screaming any time I would show it to her). She will point out letters in other places of course, and we just encourage her (unless we are in church) with praise.
Now, before you wonder if your kid is falling behind - does he/she know the colors? Or can he/she identify most of the shapes? Or does he/she count? I think what they learn at this age is based primarily on what they like/are interested in. AJU5 hasn't picked up these things much because they aren't interesting to her. We are pushing these skills a little more now because she has the letters down fairly well and others "expect" her to know them.
So, what is your kid good at? What do you wish he/she was better at?
6 comments:
I fondly remember the first time my oldest "read" a sign to me while we were driving. "A. B. C..ABC Store, Mama!" It still makes me giggle :-D
T is not up on letters yet. He's soooo focused on colors right now. His favorite is Orange. He wants everything to be orange! They're working some with shapes at daycare as well, and he can name some of those too. It's fun to see what they grab hold of and explore at this age, though! It's always an adventure to me because I don't always keep track of what they're learning at daycare. They often surprise me!
Dean's really into numbers. His favorites are 1, 2 and 5. He also likes the colors blue and purple and wants us to tell him all the colors when he's playing with his crayons or markers. Letters are coming. He can spell his name and identify the ABC's on his sippy cup. Soon they'll be counting to 100 and singing the ABC song themselves! :)
That's so cool! Word World is awesome, but is sounds like you are an excellent teacher.
We love Word World.
Your post reminded me of a memory of Jersey #3 in a parent/tot gymnastics class. One of the activities in a circuit involved jumping on a little trampoline and singing the ABC song. He simply refused! He was 2 years old and did not care that all the other kids were singing the song as they jumped. He refused to sing it!
Good for that smart little girl! How cute!
Nathan's got his letters, numbers, and some colors down... you know what he doesn't do? LEAVE HIS SHOES ON IN THE CAR! :) I'm hoping this second year is better for that, cuz it's cold.
Post a Comment