I think she is still getting used to two meals (of solids) a day. It takes two sittings to get through her morning apples with a tablespoon of oatmeal as a thickener (I had to add water to make the blender work). But, she does eat it all. This afternoon I am going to start apple juice because she seems a little constipated. We have a juicer, so I will just make my own. I think I will try out the sippy cups, but I might have to revert to the bottle (which she will drink about 1 oz of at a time).
So - time for some advice from some of you...
How long did you breastfeed?
How did you transition?
I am planning on breastfeeding until she is at least a year old, but I keep thinking about when I will stop, etc.
4 comments:
Charlie gave up breastfeeding on his own at 13 months. But we had a long transition period starting around 10 months when I stopped pumping (I wasn't getting enough to be worth the effort) so he got two bottles of formula a day and nursed at wakeup, when he came home from daycare, and at bedtime. Then he wasn't getting enough to eat at bedtime so we switched to formula then too. Somewhere along the line we dropped the afternoon feeding and he just tapered off the morning feeding until we were just going straight to bananas and whole grain waffles. He started using a sippy to drink water sometime between six months and a year but I have no clue when it was. He had a night time bottle of regular whole milk starting around 12 months and stopping at 15. Now he drinks from regular cups! That was FAST! I hope I can remember all of this for the next one.
It took me only 7 months to breastfeed my son. Sadly, he was weaned as soon as I started working for 9 hours a day till Saturday. :(
Anyway, they said that breastmilk is best for babies till they're two. It's your choice whether to wean her at 1 or not.
My son, now at 19 months, eat a lot of solid food. He loves eating. From apples, to crackers to pastas and the likes!
I only breastfed for about four months, but I bottle fed my kids pumped breast milk well into six months or so. When it was time to transition to solids, I think I gave them the solids at "mealtimes" and a bottle in between each meal. Sometimes I would follow up a meal with a bottle, i don't really remember. But as they got used to solids, they gradually ate more and more of those and drank less formula/breastmilk, so by the time they were one year old, they were pretty much eating three solid meals a day and just drinking milk at night and first thing in the morning.
14 months-- when I got pregnant.
At 10 months, I stopped pumping and the freezer stash ran dry, so he started drinking a formula bottle a day-- when I was at school. This was an easy transition because he had been getting formula in his cereal and in a sippy to practice with since he was 6 months.
At 11 months, he dropped his morning nap and with it his morning feeding.
By 13 months, he was only nursing at night, as he really liked sippy cups and whole milk. We started offering him cow's milk at night with his bedtime stories, and that was it!
Post a Comment