Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Paci Wars - Well, Sort of...

AJU5 is becoming more and more opinionated and smart. At night, when she gets up to nurse, I normally try to grab a pacifier out of her bed in the process. My goal is to put it in while I am carrying her to her bed. Well, she won't take it anymore! She keeps her lips closed and even moves her head away from it. The problem is that once I lay her down she screams without the paci. So, I have to put it in quickly. I think she is almost ready to give it up completely - but she isn't quite there yet. She only gets them in bed or when we are out of the house. There are a few of her non-favorite ones floating around, but she normally only plays with these and doesn't use them for more than a minute. The pacifier no longer works as a stop-gap if she is hungry - she does the same thing she does when I put her in bed. So, as soon as she stops screaming when I put her down at night and waking with a paci in her mouth (sometimes not the one she started with even), then it will go away completely.

In other news, last night started off weird. She went down 30 minutes to an hour before normal due to extreme crankiness and sleepiness. She woke up about 3 hours later, right as my husband and I were getting in bed. She started the very made screams, so I went and let her nurse. She then slept for 6 hours followed by 3 hours. Technically, she only woke me up once! I am not actually sure if she woke me up that time or if I woke up first because 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep - I haven't had that in over a year!

Finally, she is 10 months old today. It is hard to believe she is already 10 months old. This year is just flying by. There are only two more months before she turns a year old. I have started to think of what to get her for her birthday and what to put on the list for Christmas, but if you have any big winners of things for a one year old who should be walking by then, let me know (she walks with one hand now...)

2 comments:

Jen L. said...

Happy 10 months, AJU5!! It does fly by, doesn't it?

And YAY for sleep! Bet you feel like a new woman! Looks like your sleep training's working...maybe she's turning a corner and will start sleeping in longer stretches! I hope so, for all your sakes.

For my nephew's first bday (he's almost exactly a year older than Dean), we ordered this adorable little step stool that has a puzzle in it that spells his name. We ordered from personalcreations.com. A cool "practical" gift that is also fun. He now stands on it to brush his teeth and when he's done, he gets to work the puzzle!

Anonymous said...

OH happy 10 months little one!
If you are awake when she pulls away from you (after feeding) try and slip the bink in then? That worked for Nate when he was smaller. You can sort of sneak it in on her. Worth a shot if she is fussing without it.