Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mommy Survey

I know some of you are on Facebook - have you seen the Mommy Survey? I did it, and some of my friends from high school have done it recently. Here is what I posted (note- AJU5's age is not up to date - I am just cutting, pasting, and removing personal info!):
Here you go mommies - a different kind of survey for a change - it's all about your first born! Just copy and paste it in a new note for yourself!

Let's see how much you remember!

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED?
NO!!!

2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME?
Yes

3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS?
Umm, this isn't our plan... God - why?

5. HOW OLD WERE YOU?
28-29

6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT?
HPT!

7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST?
AJU1 (husband)

8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX?
NOPE!!! Why ruin a perfectly good surprise?

9. DUE DATE?
December 18, 2007

10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS?
Yes - that is what clued us in to the fact I might have been pregnant. Lasted until week 16.

11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE?
Sandwiches - although I don't know if it was a craving or just what I could stomach.

12. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST?
Itchy belly

13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX?
Girl

14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING?
AdJU1 definitely wanted a boy. I wanted him to be happy - so I guess that would be yes.

15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY?
About 35

16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER?
Yup - thanks K for throwing it!

17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW?
I knew about the shower

18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY?
Kidney infection at week 18 (spent 48 hours in the hospital as a result).

19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH?
Pres. Hospital

20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR?
About 13 (although if she wasn't stuck it probably would have been even less)

21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL?
AJU1

22. WHO WATCHED YOU GIVE BIRTH?
AJU1 and everyone else in the OR (I have no clue who was there!)

23. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION?
C-section

24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN?
Yup - narcotics first. Then epidural once it wore off. Nitrous oxide during the c-section. Probably something else too during the c/s.

27. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH?
8lbs 3.4 oz

28. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN?
Dec 14, 2007 (10:0?am)

30. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER?
A J - about 46 hours later :)

31. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY?
13 months 3 weeks 1 day

What surprises me is the number of people that did it totally natural! With the exception of the people I know here, none of them had to have c-sections. I gave up shortly after going to to the hospital (I was 8cm dilated at the time though) and got the IV pain stuff. It worked some (about 2 hours) until they thought AJU5 was coming (and then they wouldn't give me more as a result). I really think natural birth is coming back into favor. I know I was willing to try. But, I know others who wanted the epidural as soon as they got to the hospital.

I hope to either deliver completely natural or have a c-section with the next one. The infection I got (and made her go to the NICU was probably due to having my water broken and then having an internal contraction monitor placed. So, I am definitely not going to allow those next time around. Some of her breathing issues may have been a result of the drugs, but some of it probably was her position as well (which is why she never dropped and had to come via c-section).

How do you feel about totally natural birth? Did you consider it? Did you do it? Are you considering it for a future birth?

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I contemplated a natural birth for a while. It wasn't meant to be as I had a C-section too. If we're blessed with a second child, I'd really like to do VBAC ... and I'd like to do it naturally.

(I did that survey on facebook too!)

Stacie said...

I was induced after my water broke with the first...I would not have survived the pitocin without an epidural. That stuff is awful, particularly when they're maxing out the dose trying to get anything resembling a regular contraction and failing!

For my second, I was pretty well set that the epidural was the way to go. I didn't expect my husband or myself to be able to focus and work through contractions. We're both a little ADD like that! LOL. A bit of a surprise was that T was born a whopping HOUR after we arrived at the hospital, so a total 3 hour labor! No pain meds! The anesthesiologist actually walked in at the same time as the nurse, right when I was feeling the need to push. The nurse spun him around and booted him out.

In retrospect, I am highly in favor of epidurals for longer labors. A shorter labor is totally do-able au naturale though! In spite of my MANY complaints to the contrary in the days that followed T's birth. LOL