Monday, February 23, 2009

Some Random Thoughts About Food

AJU5 is a little silly about food. She is now refusing to eat somethings with her hands. Luckily, I figured this out! If I feed her with a fork or spoon, she eats it all. But, she won't eat them with her fingers any more. This is especially the case with vegetables. Unfortunately, they aren't easy to keep on a fork or spoon - especially corn. But, I am getting better at getting them into her mouth without dropping half first. She does try to do it herself some too, but she isn't always able to skewer the food due to aim and force limitations. But, she does have the idea!

She is also a snacker some days. Other days, she refuses her snacks. It is really hard to guess what the day will be too! The same goes for drinking. Saturday she only drank about 10-12 oz (although she did have a lot of juicy fruit). Yesterday she drank about 24 oz I think. This makes it hard to pack enough for church through - she had emptied her 10 oz cup by the end of Sunday School! Luckily I had some water that I put in her cup, but she didn't like it as much...

She pretty much eats whatever we are having. I do make her her own veggies most of the time - but that is just easier (she doesn't like broccoli and doesn't actually swallow lettuce). It only takes about 30 seconds to warm hers up anyways. But, other than that, she has what we have. Breakfast might be the only time she gets something "unique" - but it really isn't. She likes oatmeal, as does AJU1 - but he leaves way before she has breakfast. So, I make her oatmeal and then I eat cold cereal. She likes the cold cereal too, but it isn't as easy to feed her. When we have a hot breakfast, she gets some of what we are having and then some of her snack foods to supplement. But again, there is no extra work for me.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I am going to try to "roast" a chicken in our crock pot. Hopefully it will turn out well! I have had it in the freezer (with its twin) for about a month now. I took it out to defrost Friday afternoon, and it seems to be getting tehre finally! Then I need to clean it and possibly deskin it (still undecided on this - sounds like a lot of work for little benefit) and cook it.

So, what is going on in your house with food? Are you feeding your kids what you eat? Are you trying out anything new?

1 comment:

Jen L. said...

If Dean would grow more teeth (he has 4), feeding would be MUCH easier! His manny gives him stage 3 baby food for lunch on the days he's here. It's got chunks in it, but is really nutritious (Gerber organics stuff). He eats a ton of fruit in small pieces and loves veggies like peas, broccoli and beans. He refuses to swallow chicken. Doesn't care much for oatmeal...still doing baby cereal with fruit in the morning. He's definitely fond of his snacks, though! Likes goldfish crackers, Gerber puffs (like baby cheetos!), fruit strips and those bland banana baby cookies. But his all time favorite is YoBaby, preferably apple or blueberry. ]
Oh, and he refuses to drink ANYTHING when his manny is here. We're not sure why. I'm going to go buy a new "cool" cup tomorrow and let BJ give it to him on Thursday like a present and see if that helps!