Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Training Your Child

Yesterday's Lesson - If Mommy lets you do something enough, you think it is okay.

I am starting to win the battle on getting AJU5 to remain in the cart while shopping. When she was little and learning to walk, I had no problem letting her out and help push the cart. I knew she wasn't going anywhere. Plus, most of our shopping was at Costco where the items are too big for her to remove from shelves. Lately we have taken more trips to Albertsons, Target, and Hobby Lobby. When she gets out, it is a struggle to keep her away from the shelves! She has also "demanded" to be carried at the stores as well. We have been workingo n the carrying desire at home, but I was afraid to deal with the scream at a store. But yesterday, I got her to stay in the cart with very little crying! She still made exit manuvers, but when she did this, I would back up a little and tell her to sit down. I was far enough away that she could grab me and climb up, but I was still close enough to catch her if she did decide to jump. A few times I had to go and physically sit her back down, but she started to figure it out! Now I just hope she will continue to be well-behaved in stores!

As a treat, we got a pretzel and icee. She got to sit in my lap as we ate the pretzel and drank some of the icee (we finished the icee at home). She didn't even want to get out of the cart when we got to the car! It was such a relief (she got out when we returned the cart with no fight).

What boundaries are you working on? Anything you let you kids do when they were little that you are now trying to break?

1 comment:

Coach Mom said...

When our oldest had out-grown us rocking her to sleep, we used to let her sit on the couch and watch a video at bedtime (usually Elmo was her favorite and would capture her attention). She would fall asleep within 10 minutes of sitting still...and we would then carry her to bed. Unfortunately, that method did not work well when our 2nd outgrew us rocking her to sleep, as movies kept her interest, kept her awake, and gave her energy! That was when we were required to come up with a new bedtime routine that would get both girls to bed. It took some time, but we've got a nice routine now....quiet reading time in bed, followed by "tucking in" and lights out.