Saturday, July 18, 2009

Parents

My parents were in town the past few days. They got here Wednesday afternoon and left early this morning. Having them around is a mixed blessing. My dad is great. My mom can get annoying...

Wednesday night they watched AJU5 while AJU1 and I went to church. Mom forgot that I told her AJU5 gets a cup in bed, but other than that, there were no issues. I ended up having to snuggle with AJU5 in the middle of the night, but eventually she went back down and they got her up in the morning so I got another hour of sleep. Thursday we went to the splash park for about 45 minutes. AJU5 had a blast other than freezing. She definitely is starting to get the hang of going through the water now! Thursday afternoon I had my ultrasound (I just told my parents it was a doctor's appointment - easier!) and then Dad made steak for dinner.

Thursday night went by with no issues. Friday morning again Dad got AJU5 up when she whimpered about an hour earlier than normal (I thought she had gone back to bed). After a morning nap for AJU5, we went to the mall on the other side of town that had Build-a-Bear. AJU5 got a kitty, although she was not sure of the whole ordeal! She did fall in love with a lunch box thing and carried it for most of our remaining time at the mall. After Build-a-Bear, we had lunch and then explored the mall. It had a playground area, so we let her play for a good amount of time (holding on to her lunch box of course). Then we checked out Children's Place for clothes - but found nothing! Then we went to JcPenney. I had to get AJU1 some shirts and we looked again for something for AJU5 (with no luck). By this point, AJU5 was done. Bad news - I forgot her pacifier and it was a long ride home witha screaming little girl. She crashed about 2 miles from our house and went down for a nap as soon as I got her out of the car. I got a nap too, so I was happy!

For dinner, we went to a Teppan Yaki place. It has become and annual tradition. My parents come up in July near my birthday because they have a time share in a neighboring state (we are about 2/3 of the way there from their home). So, the last three years we have gone to this restaurant for my birthday dinner. The first time I threw up at the restaurant (in the bathroom luckily) because of the kidney infection AJU5 "caused" in utero (I didn't know it was a kidney infection for another 4 days though). So, last year I wanted to go again to "redeem" what I missed the first time. This year it was just the best option. There is only one restaurant I like more in town, but it isn't pregnancy friendly. It is an all-you-can-eat Brazilian grill! I love the food, but I knew if I had that I would feel bad for a while! AJU5 loved the fire and liked eating with sticks (I skewered her food for her with chopsticks).

So, all in all it was a busy few days. AJU5 warmed up to my parents, but she still preferred me. She always wanted to know where I was. Luckily she napped during my ultrasound and didn't notice I was gone! I did get frustrated with my mom, but I held it in. She is quick to respond to things like other kids interferring with AJU5's play on the playground. Personally, as long as the kid isn't doing anything that could hurt AJU5, I don't care, AJU5 needs to learn to deal with the kids on her own, especially if they are just trying to play too. She also has a volume problem which can give me a headache and thinks she is right/knows a lot that she really doesn't. That is why there is a 2-3 day maximum around her. My siblings have the same rule. My dad understands our rule. It works great :)

Oh yeah, AJU1 planned things great this time (not on purpose though). He left EARLY Thursday morning for a work trip and doesn't get back until early this afternoon. So, he basically missed their whole visit. My brother-in-law was jealous when he heard about it last weekend!

Oh, and as for why I didn't tell my parents about the ultrasound - mom likes to know the gender. We like to be surprised. So, if I had told mom before the appointment she would have bugged me. Then it was just easier to say everything is fine than to explain.

Okay, that was a lot of rambling. But, two full days will do that!

Now to pick up around the house and get things back to normal!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Build A Bear-- love it. But now we have about 2 dozen built bars that just sit in a hamper. Sigh.

It's always a balancing act with family help, huh? Sounds like fun, though!

Sarah said...

hahaha bears, not bars :)