Friday, August 28, 2009

Product Review Friday - Airlines

AJU5 has been on four trips involving planes and has one more next weekend before a (probable) long break because, well, she will be 2 and no longer flying free!

I didn't fly much growing up. I think there was one or two trips before high school and then one then. My senior year of college I flew a lot because of varsity sports (we didn't fly any my junior year though). Then I flew a bunch visiting AJU1 while we lived in different states. Since we have been married, we have flown some too, but driving is more common for us.

Through all of this, I have flown a large number of airlines - Southwest, American, Continental, United, Delta, Northwest, Frontier, and British Airways (at least those are the ones I remember). With AJU5 we have flown Southwest only, but next weekend we are flying Delta/Northwest because AJU1 had enough points for a free ticket with them (due to his work travel).

So, which do I prefer? Well, I don't think it matters too much. Each airline has its quirks. And each airport throws in another set of quirks totally independent of the airline. I like that Southwest doesn't charge for bags - that is a HUGE plus in my book! But, if it wasn't for my husband flying Southwest for work so much, we might not fly them. They aren't always the cheapest without free tickets even if you add the bag charge in...

I don't mind Southwest's seating policy either. We almost always get A boarding because we check in 24 hours in advance. And, when traveling with an infant in arms, it is easier to get a seat for them this way (although not always available). The time I didn't get A boarding when I traveled with AJU5 alone, I was still able to get a good seat (rows still empty) during family boarding.

So, what don't I like about some airlines?
  • When they overbook a flight. This happened once when I flew Northwest for work two years ago. I checked in about two hours early at the airport (nothing better to do - was already out of my hotel room, etc). But, I didn't have a seat assignment because they were over-full and waiting to see who showed up. It was very annoying especially since I was 19 weeks pregnant and less than one week post kidney infection (and still not feeling 100%).
  • When they are notoriously late. Luckily we don't live or fly to busy places like the northeast. But, I am impatient! All of the airlines we have flown from here have been close to on time unless weather caused the delay. But, I have flown Continental through Houston before - and I am never doing that again! There are regular delays out of there for sure!
  • Uncomfortable planes. United tends to have very little leg room, so my husband avoids them at all cost. Some of the "puddle" jumpers are also bad. But, the others are all about the same...
SO, which airline do you fly most? Which do you like the best?

1 comment:

Coach Mom said...

I've had great flights with Southwest, even traveling with young children. We took advantage of those free tickets too, when my husband was traveling for work so much.

But, I will also add a "plug" for United Airlines...they were great when we needed to fly to another state for my daughter's medical treatment, and she required oxygen for the duration of the flight. They really gave her the royal treatment, and were sweet as can be!