We got to a church with only one other family with children under the age of 5 (note - they do have 3 kids under 5 currently). I decided to sit behind them in church because their kids like to play with AJU5 and because then the noise during service would be limited to one area (AJU1 is up in the sound room during service running all of that stuff). We also have a 13 year old in the church with the mental age of about a 5 or 6 year old who sits with us or the other family. Yesterday I had the 13 year old and the 4 year old in my pew with us. The 13 year old (JL) wanted to hold AJU5 all service. I let her hold her quite a bit, but when she didn't want to take a nap (and she needed one), I decided to lay her on the floor to see if that would help. Well, the 4 year old (JR) decided to get down on the floor and play with her. So, periodically during the sermon, you would hear giggles out of AJU5 (and a few from JR). JR's mom would tell her to be quite when she got loud, but what do you do? If AJU5 wasn't entertained, she would be crying because she was so tired. So, I would have had to get up and go to the nursery (we have one - just no one scheduled to be in there because of the lack of kids). So, I just dealt with it. Luckily we have been reassured by many in the congregation that the kids don't bother them and all.
And for the naps - she did fall asleep a little at the end of service, but woke up before we left. Then she dosed during the car ride, took a decent nap at home, but only dosed again in the car for her late naps (she normally take 3-4 1-2.5 hour naps - she only got 2 yesterday). So, she was cranky but ended up sleeping well last night (5 hrs, 2 hrs, 2 hrs - I can deal with that!). So, do I push the naps, or let her be cranky? I think half of it is the teeth issue (two are poking through, think the uppers are on their way). So, we will see if it gets better!
3 comments:
Having Charlie in the sanctuary is not an option! He's so loud (happy loud, but still inappropriate) and curious and restless. I thought it would be neat to take him up to communion with us once until I knew what would inevitably happen--he would scream "MORE!" when he wasn't allowed a second piece of bread. The walkers' nursery was made for Charlie!
I think it's great that your church is so welcoming of children. Our church is really "old school" and doesn't have a nursery room, or even a proper foyer area. It really sucks when the kids are being loud!
Thank you for stopping by my blog today and commenting! I hope to see you again :)
Ooops, that last comment was from me, (Rimarama), but I accidentally posted using my husband's account!
Post a Comment