Monday, January 12, 2009

A Hard, Yet Good Conversation

There is someone at our church (small church - about 60 at Sunday morning service) with my same name. She is pregnant and due one week before my due date. I had defriended her in Facebook last Tuesday because it was just too hard to see her pictures of the baby and related "stuff." But, I decided to talk to her yesterday after service. We aren't close. Her and her husband are about 7 years younger than we are. They lead the worship team, and we are not always fans of the way they do that. So, we don't spend much time around them. Plus, they only attend morning service, so we don't have much chance to interact with them at church (AJU5 is normally starving after service, so we leave fairly quickly).

But, I had to make sure she understood why I had defriended her (I did send an email, but they aren't always the best way to communicate). It turns out she had found out about the miscarriage last Sunday. My husband had told one person that I had miscarried by saying "Name had miscarried." Well, since I hadn't shared the news with this person, they assumed the wrong person had miscarried (and went up to her and said she as sorry for the loss).

It was hard to talk to her, but it was also good. It turns out she is using amidwife in the same group as my doctor (she even thought about using my doctor before deciding to go with the midwife). This pregnancy wasn't planned for them either, so we could talk about that (I have yet to try to conceive!). Then our husbands ended up talking about work (they work for the same company) and we ended up playing with AJU5 in the nursery while they finished talking. I was able to share advice on baby products, etc.

The first few minutes were hard, but as we talked, it got a lot easier. I wish we would get to know them more. Maybe when the house is done we can have them over...

++++++++++++

Doctor's appointment tomorrow...

3 comments:

Jen L. said...

That's a huge step. And a very brave one. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

It does sound like the first steps of a friendship.

Sarah said...

good for you for being direct!