Friday, February 27, 2009

Product Review Friday - Snack Trap

The Snack Trap is a cup with a lid that allows kids to pull out their snack without spilling them all over the place. I bought ours at Babies-r-Us after seeing another kid using one. The idea is great. If the kid turns the cup upside down and shakes, the only thing that comes out are any crumbs you put in with the snack. But, when the kid goes to pull out the snacks, there can be problems. First, there are kids (AJU5 has done it) that take great joy in emptying the cup. This definitely is just as messy as if she had just dumped the whole container (but it did take longer at least!). Also, when she pulls one snack out, a few extra tend to come with it because she holds it sideways. This isn't a huge problem though because she has this issue with a normal cup as well - Cheerios get stuck between her fingers! Another possible problem we have yet to have (but I have a friend who had it) is that the lid can be removed fairly easily. If your child figures this out, the cup is just a normal cup!

It cost less than $5, so I think it is a fairly good product. It isn't perfect, but a lot depends on your child's mentality and how you use it. If you only give it to your kid when you are watching him/her, then it will probably be neater than most alternatives. Even with the past emptying by AJU5, she seems to have learned that if she empties it, then it disappears. So, she uses it properly most of the time now.

I will give this product a B+. The idea is great, but some kids are too smart or devious for it to work!

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Nathan totally loves his snack trap. By "loves" I mean that he loves to put his thumb in it and shake out all of the contents!

Sarah said...

I disagree with you-- the snack trap IS perfection. especially for goldfish and bunny crackers-- it's the perfect size :) Works well for blueberries, too.

Jen L. said...

I got one of these as a gift and we've enjoyed it. Dean also has trouble with more than one piece coming out. And he's that kid who has learned to take it apart. It DEFINITELY works better than a regular bowl for us...he turns those over before he even takes a piece out!