Saturday, March 28, 2009

Home Improvement Saturday - Cabinets (Part 1)

So, because I am sleepy, I am going to keep this one short and do a second part to cabinets next Saturday.

The first thing you need to decide is what brand cabinets you are going to use. We have used three brands, and in general the actual construction is identical. A cabinet box is a cabinet box is a cabinet box. The difference comes in options, look, and material. Personally, we have found Shenandoah cabinets (at Lowe's) to be a really good buy. You can spend extra for KraftMaid, but the quality is almost identical between the two.

Once you have the brand chosen, you need to pick the door style. Some times the door style dictates the design and what cabinets are available. The big question normally is full overlay verses regular overlay. There are also no overlay cabinets out there, but we haven't used those (I don't think they are common here due to the humidity conditions, etc). With full overlay, you don't see the frame when the doors are closed, but with regular overlay there is a border of the frame showing.

The best thing to do is go to a design center (Lowe's or Home Depot work just fine) and look at the cabinets. We have gone with special order, but for budget projects or small projects, you might want to consider the in-stock cabinets. I would DEFINITELY get a free design/price quote of at least one special order set of cabinets, as this will allow you to compare costs AND get a design to work from.

Nest week I will talk about pieces to not forget and installation!

*I had about 4 hours of sleep last night/this morning. I didn't get home until after 2:30 and couldn't sleep until after 3. AJU5 was up just before 7, so I "supervised" her and napped a little before heading back to scrap some more (about 10-3:30). I got through Month 11 - 30 pages completed! Hopefully I can find little pieces of time here and there to do come more of it in the next few months.

1 comment:

Nowheymama said...

I'd be happy with just getting our cabinets sanded and painted!