Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Situational Awareness and Naps

AJU5 has some situational awareness, but she is lacking in some areas! She is very cautious around male strangers. Today we had three men in our house installing a fireplace insert. She would stand frozen when they came into the room (for at least a few minutes, then she would warm up). But, she isn't so aware of her height. Last night at class she hit her head at least four times. Two of those were on the tables. She used to be able to walk under them, but now she has to duck a little. She often forgets this fact and bangs her head. Hopefully she will be over this soon, as her head probably was getting a little sore last night! She hasn't gotten any battle scars on her head lately, but she still cries a lot when she wacks her head!

As for naps, it seems like we might be going to one nap. Sundays and Thursdays she ends up with one nap normally anyways because of morning activities. It might just be easier for me to have her take one long (2-3 hour) nap after lunch then to have to try to get her to take two naps, one after breakfast and a little play and one mid afternoon. But, I did like two periods to get things done. I am just going to have to play it by ear.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I think Harry was about that age when he gave up the morning nap-- you're right in that there are positives and negatives. With 2 kids, it's a huge pain to schedule around the baby's 2 naps, but it is lovely to have some baby-free time twice a day. Hope she stops banging her head soon! (we will be there any minute-- J can stand up under the table, but just barely)

Jen L. said...

Yep. We're down to one nap. I also miss the 2 naps, but he's resting better with the one long one. He usually goes down just after lunch and sleep about 2 1/2 hours. Then he goes to bed a bit earlier and sleeps all night. Once you figure out that yes, she is going to stay asleep for a long time, you'll probably like the one long nap. At first, I never got invested in anything because I was so sure he was going to wake up!

Corie said...

Good luck with figuring out the nap thing... we are still on two naps and imagine we will be for quite some time yet.

Hope AJU5's lil head gets a rest! :)
It's funny... my hubby and I were just talking about the lack of spatial awareness our daughter has.