Tuesday, September 9, 2008

9 Month Doctor's Appointment (5 days early)

So today AJU5 had her doctor's appointment. We actually saw a different doctor in the practice than we normally see, and I liked her better. I am pretty sure we will see this doctor again in December. She made sure to ask what questions I had (not if I had questions - but what questions I had) and was more than willing to give her advice without being pushy. She also explained things a lot more than the other doctor did, which I really liked. She didn't have any shots today - just a prick for her iron check (which she scored a 12.5 on!).

Here are her stats:
16 lbs 8.75 oz
27 1/2 inches long
46 cm head circumference

She is falling down the growth chart, but the doctor isn't worried. She showed me the chart and explained that genetics don't show up until 6-9 months on the chart. Since AJU5's cousins are all small, it made sense to me before she even showed me the chart. Her weight has gone from 82nd percentile at birth to 65th at 2 months, 51st at 4 months and 49th a six months to 14th now. Her height has gone from 77th to 82nd to 85th to 71st and now to 51st. Her head has always been around 90th percentile! The big advantage of not having a large baby - she still fits in the infant carrier seat (Graco SnugRide). There is a very good chance she won't have to go to a convertible seat after all!

We also talked about her sleeping. She likes to wake up every few hours to nurse - and it isn't just to nurse for a minute or two. She goes for 10 minutes some times (which is a full feeding for her). The plan now is to keep getting her to go down on her own at night. When we move her to her own room in a few weeks, we will try the Ferber method/crying it out. But, with her in our room right now, it really isn't an option (no other room has a door installed, so we can't move her yet). Luckily last night was a little better than the past few!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have small babies, too, which I like--easier to tote around :)

Jen L. said...

Dean is a horse. He weighs almost 21 pounds! Glad to hear someone else is having the same sleep issues as we are. We're trying that method, too, now that he has the crib in his room. Good luck!