Monday, July 28, 2008

Sleeping... or lack there of...

We have three issues with sleeping these days.
  1. She has learned to stand up in her pack-n-play (i.e. bed). So, now when I put her down she ends up pulling herself up. The problem is that she has not mastered the sitting down! So, I end up having to get her almost asleep before I can put her down or rub her back until she crashes.
  2. Nightmares - or so we assume. She cries in her sleep. The cries are not just whimpers - they are full out cries. But she is still technically asleep. So, during the day we wake her up and hold her until she is happy. At night I nurse her back to a calm sleep.
  3. She wakes up/cries every 1-3 hours at night. It is a miracle if I get one 4 hour stretch or two three hour stretches. Luckily she normally just eats and falls back asleep. But some times she wants to play or requires lots of rocking/back rubbing to get to go back to sleep.
Somewhat related is the concern she will crawl out of our bed. I try to put her back in her bed around 4, but it doesn't always happen. And there was the night she woke at midnight and started to crawl all over us...

Other than that, she is a happy baby. I do enjoy her, and the sleep-deprivation isn't killing me yet!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't it amazing how you just learn to live with no sleep??

Harry was so good at staying put, we just put pillows at the edge of the bed, but Jack is already all over the darn place, so I think I am going to get one of those bed rail things because I also worry about him falling/scooting. eventually crawling out of the bed.

Becca said...

That stage where they learn to stand up in bed but can't sit down again is frustrating to everyone! Fortunately it doesn't last too long. Charlie will not sleep if he is in our bed, no matter what. In his mind if there are other people around it is playtime... there are clock radios to play with, books to read, eyeballs to investigate! So we've been pretty ruthless about the crib and now the bed.

One thing that works like magic for Charlie is Phent, his lovey. He could sleep standing up in a shopping center if he had Phent with him. I don't know if it works for all kids, but it has been good for us... also pacifiers, which he has slept with since he was about 6 months old when we dropped the last nighttime feeding.